By: Kayla King
Brought to you from our Archives. In the spirit of buckling down to write as summer draws to a close, here are our top five reasons to join a writing community, here–or anywhere on the great wide web. Don’t forget to check out the Harlequin Writing Community on Facebook!
1. Online comment sections and forums are full of fellow writers who know exactly what it is you’re going through and are all too happy to commiserate about waiting in the checkout line, riding the train, or sitting in traffic, struck through suddenly with an idea that they just have to write about.
2. We’re not all masters of the butt-in-chair technique all the time, and everyone here is ready to chat about what’s worked and what hasn’t when it comes to getting those words on the page.
3. Not everyone has the time and resources for an in-person critique group. This community, and many others besides, are just a click away, anywhere, anytime, and can be just as helpful! These communities are also a great step in matchmaking with that elusive perfect critique partner.
4. These people are hilarious and charming. They’ll laugh with you, cry with you, and ultimately they’ll celebrate what you’ve gone through to write that book!
5. In summation, community, writing and otherwise, will serve to remind you of those four all-important words when you’ve taken on a difficult task: I am not alone.
Have you joined a writing community yet? Share your experience with us in the comments below!