We love our Call Stories on SOLD! – there’s nothing more inspiring than hearing about the moment authors’ dreams of publication come true. And you might think that no-one is more excited than the author when it happens. But you’d be wrong! Read on for the Harlequin editors’ perspective on what it feels like to make ‘The Call’…
- It’s just as exciting for editors as it is for authors – and it goes by in a total blur! Like you, we find ourselves forgetting what we said the minute we’ve hung up 🙂
- We love a big reaction, so don’t worry if you sound incoherent/emotional/excitable – tears of joy are the best!
- Sometimes the editor cries with joy too 😉
- The whole editorial team is waiting with baited breath while we make The Call, and once we put down the phone, the cheers (assuming the author has accepted the contract!) can be heard across the office!
- We like to give all the details up front, but since we know it can be a lot to take in – and we’ll likely be squeeing right along with you – we always follow up with an email. So don’t worry about jotting down notes if you’d rather be bouncing around your living room!
- It is a fine balance between scheduling The Call for when the author is in and not ruining the surprise! There is nothing more anti-climactic than trying to make The Call and the author being out…
- Every editor has a different approach – some dive in with the offer while others are more devious and take a roundabout way to build suspense. It can be very tempting to channel our inner Simon Cowell when we deliver the news: ‘We didn’t like it [dramatic pause as your heart is in your mouth] we LOVED it!’
- It creates a really special bond, to be part of making that moment happen. You never forget an author you acquired or the editor who bought your first book.
- It’s not only authors who crack open the bubbly to celebrate, it’s the editor too! We’ll be toasting your success in the office, at home, anywhere we can!
- Making The Call is the highlight of our day, our week, our month – our whole job, really!
Have you had ‘The Call’? Share your favourite memory below!