If you’re interested in submitting your romance novel to Harlequin, one of the first questions you might be asking yourself is: Which romance series is my voice right for?
We publish 12 different romance series, ranging from sexy contemporary romance to touching home and family stories to sweeping historicals. We release 4-8 books per month in each line.
To help you make that all-important decision of where to submit, below is a snapshot of our romance categories. Interested in exploring or reading further in one of our lines? Then check out TryHarlequin to download a free ebook from each of our romance series!
—— PASSION ——
- The ultimate escape: passion meets glamour
- Irresistible, powerful heroes and the heroines who aren’t afraid to challenge them
- High stakes emotional conflict and connection
- International settings and classic romance themes: think marriage of convenience, secret babies, billionaires, with your own unique twist
- Family sagas
- A passion for passion
- An intense voice that reflects the relationship between the hero and heroine
Read: Cinderella’s Royal Seduction by Dani Collins
Watch: Fifty Shades of Grey for the powerful, wealthy hero, and the intensity of their attraction. The James Bond films or Crazy Rich Asians for the international, luxurious settings!
Click here for the Harlequin Presents series guidelines.
- Sexy, dramatic and set in a world of wealth and opulence
- Larger than life stories: blackmail, secret babies and long-hidden skeletons in the closet
- More than just the hero and heroine’s relationship: think shocking plot twists and family sagas
- Classic soap opera stories and tropes
- Making a “larger than life” story believable
Read: Temporary Wife Temptation by Jayci Lee
Watch: Dynasty reboot
Click here for the Harlequin Desire series guidelines.
—— LIFE & LOVE ——
HARLEQUIN SPECIAL EDITION
- Heartfelt contemporary romance, with true-to-life characters experiencing the twists and turns on the journey to true love.
- Subtle or sizzling, as long as it’s all about the couple!
- Babies, brides and cowboys
- Real-life conflicts and complex characters
- International glamor
- Alpha males
- A story that immerses readers into the emotional lives of the hero and heroine
Read: Her Homecoming Wish by Jo McNally
Click here for the Harlequin Special Edition series guidelines.
- Wholesome, complex and emotionally satisfying romances you can share with your daughter or grandmother
- Traditional but contemporary
- Available in print through Harlequin’s Book Club subscription service or in ebook at all major retailers
- Explicit in any way
- A talent for bringing complicated, realistic characters to life
Read: Montana Dad by Jeannie Watt
Watch: Sleepless in Seattle
Click here for the Harlequin Heartwarming series guidelines.
- Relatable, ‘whisk me away’ romances
- All about the heroine! You want to be in her shoes as she experiences the rush of falling in love
- Glamorous and aspirational
- Sensual, emotional, uplifting with low sensuality
- Cowboys or westerns
- Small town or family focused
- Sexually explicit
- A fresh voice that brings the feeling of falling in love to life
- An ability to write feel-good, entertaining and fresh-paced romances
Read: Her Twin Baby Secret by Therese Beharrie
Watch: The Holiday
Click here for the Harlequin Romance series guidelines.
HARLEQUIN MEDICAL ROMANCE
- Hotshot surgeons, passionate midwives, dedicated doctors and other medical professionals
- Life-affirming stories of learning to love amid the drama of saving lives
- International settings
- Suspense, revenge, medical drama without the romance
- Gory or overtly technical
- Medical TV drama and emotional, working-together stories
Read: Surprise Baby for the Billionaire by Charlotte Hawkes
Watch: Grey’s Anatomy
Click here for the Harlequin Medical Romance series guidelines.
—— THRILLS ——
- Focused on crime-solving
- A race against time, with the hero and heroine working together to figure out a mystery
- High-stakes situations such as woman in jeopardy, stalkers and kidnappings combined with palpable romantic tension
- Cozy mysteries
- Graphically sexual or explicitly violent
- A terrific plot built around a strong mystery
Read: Witness Protection Widow by Debra Webb
Watch: Blue Bloods, The Bodyguard, Scandal
Click here for the Harlequin Intrigue series guidelines.
HARLEQUIN ROMANTIC SUSPENSE
- Ordinary women in extraordinary circumstances
- Romance against a backdrop of suspense
- Military heroes and heroines, Westerns, law enforcement
Keyword: Romance meets danger
- Procedural mysteries
- Fast paced, exciting romances with an element of danger
Read: Cowboy’s Vow to Protect by Carla Cassidy
Watch: Criminal Minds and the Jason Bourne films
Click here for the Harlequin Romantic Suspense series guidelines.
—— INSPIRATIONAL ——
- Contemporary romance meets faith-based values
- Relatable, emotionally satisfying and Christian
- Smart, compassionate heroines and strong, honorable heroes
- Set against a backdrop of family and community
- Sex, drugs (including alcohol) or violence
- Preachy or didactic
- Hopeful romances where faith can heal the heart
Read: The Wrangler’s Last Chance by Jessica Keller
Watch: Touched by an Angel
Click here for the Love Inspired series guidelines.
LOVE INSPIRED SUSPENSE
- Courageous characters facing challenges to their faith…and their lives
- Gripping suspense and emotionally compelling romance
- Aligned with Christian values (no drugs, alcohol, gambling, profanity or premarital sex by Christian characters)
- Romantic tension rather than sexual desire
- Graphically violent
- Didactic or preachy
- Dangerous situations, high emotional stakes and loyal characters
Read: Mountain Hostage by Hope White
Watch: Bones for the solid suspense stories and the romantic tension between the characters
Click here for the Love Inspired Suspense series guidelines.
—— HISTORICAL ——
- Richly textured and incredibly romantic
- Filled with vivid details that bring the setting to life
- Sensual or sexy, it’s up to you
- Rakes, rogues, Highlanders, Vikings…or a powerful hero from your favorite historical era
- Paranormal or timeslip
- Being carried away to another era and immersed in a passionate love story
Read: An Unconventional Countess by Jenni Fletcher
Watch: Downton Abbey, Belle, Pride and Prejudice, Poldark
Click here for the Harlequin Historical series guidelines.