Carina Press is bringing their popular critique group workshop to RWA in New York City and giving you a chance to win a spot in the group!
This workshop is an opportunity for authors to solicit professional and peer feedback on their manuscript, in real time, in a helpful, constructive and kind environment. Carina Press Editorial Director Angela James and Senior Editor Kerri Buckley will discuss overall story arcs, the all-important “hook,” pacing, characterization and tension (among many others). Attendees are given marked-up manuscript pages to take with them when they go.
WIN the opportunity to join either Carina Press Editorial Director Angela James or Senior Editor Kerri Buckley and a small group of your fellow authors, and get feedback from both Angela/Kerri and your peers on your work-in-progress.
Critique groups will be held concurrently on Thursday, July 23rd, 2015 from 1-3p EST in New York City at an office location a five-minute walk from the RWA conference hotel, the New York Marriott Marquis in Times Square.
At the event, each author will be allotted 20 minutes in which they will receive feedback from both Angela/Kerri and the other author participants. Participants are asked and expected to read and comment on all chapters prior to the event and not just attend to receive comments on their own work. All critiques will be expected to be helpful, constructive, and framed kindly. These types of groups are most successful with a variety of feedback and discussion! Participants are encouraged to print out the pages and comment directly on them, so they can be handed directly to the authors after the critique session.
- Visit https://carinapress.submittable.com/submit/42944and follow the onscreen instructions to submit title, genre, target market and 150-word summary of the story you would like to have critiqued at the Critique Group.
- We will select winners via random selection from qualifying entries on July 1, 2015. Winners will be notified by email.
- Click herefor Official Rules.
- Manuscripts submitted for critique must be unpublished and uncontracted work (we do not want to step on another editor’s editing process!) but authors who want to participate may be at any stage of their writing career.
- Manuscripts for the critique groups must fall within these adult fiction genres:
- Romance (all genres/subgenres & heat levels)
- New adult (all subgenres)
- Mystery (of any subgenre/niche)
- As we do not publish young adult or younger, we are unable to offer feedback on these genres/manuscripts in these critique groups.
- Winners must confirm their attendance and upload the following (via link provided in notification email) by July 8, 2015:
A longer synopsis (~500 words recommended), if desired
- Please remove all identifying name/address/phone number information from your pages.
- Chapters will be forwarded to all critique group participants for blind commentary prior to arrival at the critique group.
Those entering must be able to attend the critique group on the date and time set above in person. Potential winners may not attend via any other means, including conference call or video chat. No date/time substitutions will be offered and feedback will not be given at any other time. Participants must be aware that their chapters will be shared with the other group participants in order to provide commentary and critique. Winning authors may not transfer their place in the group to another author. In the event that someone cannot attend, a new participant will be selected. All authors must confirm their attendance no later than July 8th, 2015. If attendance is not confirmed by that time, a new participant will be chosen.
Entries and/or submissions are not considered to be submissions to either Carina Press or Harlequin and all non-winning entries will be deleted.
Note: Authors should consider this an opportunity to solicit professional and peer feedback on their manuscript, not as an opportunity to pitch their project to each editor. Authors who participate in these sessions are welcome to submit to Carina/Harlequin following official submission guidelines, but chapters for this session will be used only for the purpose of critique and will not be considered submitted for potential publication.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER. Sweepstakes opens 6/1/2015 at 12:01 AM (EDT) and closes 6/30/2015 at 11:59 PM (ET). Enter online at https://carinapress.submittable.com/submit/42944 (the “Promotion Website”). Open to legal residents of the U.S. and Canada (excluding Quebec) who have reached the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence or older. Void where prohibited by law. Void in Quebec. Ten (10) prizes available to be won consisting of a spot at a critique group workshop in New York on July 23, 2015. Odds of winning depend on number of eligible entries received. Full details and Official Rules available online at Promotion Website. Sponsor: Harlequin Enterprises Limited.