Welcome to Carina Adores, Carina Press’s trope-driven LGBTQ+ contemporary romance line, launched in June 2020.
Each of these highly romantic stories has a strong central trope. From marriages of convenience, royalty, and secret babies to friends to lovers, single parents and more, Carina Adores is publishing feel-good romances where LGBTQ+ main characters get their happily ever afters.
We welcome and encourage submissions from members of the LGBTQ+ community, as well as diverse characters and #ownvoices stories.
- Story should be trope-centric. The romance should be driven by at least one identifiable trope. See bottom of page for a list of suggestions!
- We’re looking for romances with a high romantic feel, a strong emphasis on healthy relationship building and a focus on the characters falling in love on page.
In order to be considered for Carina Adores, submissions must:
- Be a contemporary romance
- Have a word count of 75,000 words and up
- Be centered around a definable central trope or tropes
- End in an HEA or HFN
We want books that are highly romantic, with great scenes of characters getting to know each other, falling in love, overcoming conflict and giving us that warm, mushy feeling of romance well-done.
- Can be written in either 1st– or 3rd-person POV.
- All heat levels are welcome.
- New twists on tropes and/or fun subversion of beloved tropes are encouraged.
- Stand-alone or miniseries considered. If submitting a series, please include a short blurb for each book with your submission.
- Carina Adores titles can be set internationally; not restricted to North American settings.
- Multicultural characters, characters of color, and disabled characters are all welcome. #Ownvoices submissions are welcome and encouraged.
- While it is not a requirement, we are particularly interested in projects written by LGBTQ+ authors.
- Not restricted to binary or cisgender identities or the presence of sexuality.
- Any LGBTQ+ character groupings/pairings are welcome.
We welcome submissions of full manuscripts or proposals.
Proposals should include:
- A 5-page or approximately 1,600-word synopsis.
- First 7,500 words.
- 3–5 paragraph description of book.
- If there is series potential, please include a series outline
- Submissions should be uploaded to the Carina Adores category on Submittable.
- Submissions do not need to be addressed to a specific editor—all Carina Press editors are acquiring for this line.
Recommended Trope List
We encourage authors to be creative in their use of tropes, to use multiple tropes, and to think of new ways to use old classics!
**Please note that while some of the language below is gendered (cowboys, prince) we actively want to see a multitude of genders with those tropes.**
Protector and person in peril (bodyguard, law enforcement)
Marriages of convenience
Enemies to lovers
Fake relationship/fake fiancé
Lovers reunited/second chance
Virgin /playboy main character
In love with best friend’s sibling/sibling’s best friend
In love with sibling’s ex
Cinderella/rags to riches
Babies/toddlers/instant family premises
Nanny/childcare worker and parent/guardian
Surprise pregnancies, or pregnancies with other dramas (can include IVF storylines)
Two people after the same job/business location/etc.
May/December romance—age difference
Forced proximity/trapped in a cabin/airport, etc.