Working in the romance fiction industry requires some very specialist skills. Read on for the Harlequin editors’ top 10 list!
- Our internet search histories are not for the fainthearted (or children).
- It can be weird when the author uses your name for the heroine…especially when things get steamy!
- Apparently, editing romance doesn’t qualify us as relationship counsellors. As anyone who’s ever had to sit through a romance editor dissecting their boyfriend’s ‘emotional conflict’ will testify…
- Looking at hot men with their tops off is part of the job, seriously. It is RESEARCH!
- We are well-versed with undergarments most people have never seen, including chemises and kirtles.
- Going on holiday to Europe can be interesting when all you can say in the language is ‘I love you’…
- We have to say/edit/discuss things that would make our mothers blush…and we have to say them with a straight face in a business context! Best question? Is that even anatomically possible?
- We’ve seen many a grand romantic gesture on paper…so it takes a lot to impress us!
- Editing Medical Romances gives you a false sense of confidence in your own ability to deliver a surprise baby, given the chance.
- We can sniff out a potential romantic plotline in anything.
Let us know if we missed anything!
(Previously published in November 2015)